Monday, January 30, 2012

1 Down and Only 39 More to Go!!

When first diagnosed I felt kind of puny


Good evening family and friends,

Well, today was the day we've been leading up to since our first visit with the radiation oncologist way back in early November.  It almost seems like a lifetime ago.  The actual procedure was pretty anticlimactic. After verifying who I was - I wonder if that was the verify part of "set-up and verify" - I climbed up on the table and they fitted me with my special mold and told me to breathe normally and lay still.  Pretty easy directions, except they also asked me to arrive with a full bladder.  Needless to say, I was hoping for a very short session.  Because of the set-up, this session was somewhat longer than I expected.  I decided the best way through it all was to visualize our view from the lanai in Mexico.  That worked pretty well except the music they were playing wasn't exactly a Mexican theme.  Maybe they will let me bring in a wave machine.  The bottom line is that the machine does all the work and I just have to lay there and zone out.  It is much less annoying and noisy than an MRI. Note to self, drink less water before future sessions.  

Today's appointment was set for early afternoon.  The +/- 15 minute appointments for the rest of this week and most of next will be all over the board, ranging from just after 9:00 a.m. to noon.  In mid-February I finally secure my requested 10:00 a.m. time slot.  That will be our routine for the duration - Monday through Friday at 10:00.  The schedule they gave me shows the last day for treatment will be March 23.

We checked the price for both of us on the light rail, and found it to be much more expensive than first thought, because Kathy does not qualify for the senior rate.  We also  found out that the stop nearest the hospital is across two busy streets and not really all that close.  Therefore, we decided driving will actually take less time and be much more convenient.  That will also allow us to more easily incorporate other errands into our daily routine.  This is particularly true since we pass Fred Meyers, Winco, and Kohl's stores along the route.  If we can't find what we need at those stops, there is a New Seasons Market within easy walking distance of the house and Costco is right down the street in the other direction.  An added bonus is that Kathy discovered a special parking area right outside the door to the lab which is for radiation oncology patients only, saving a 10-minute walk from the parking garage through the center of the hospital.

I have referenced our diet several times.  Well, it seems that the anti-cancer diet which we have been learning about and trying to follow since being diagnosed, includes a lot of garlic, onions, and cruciferous vegetables, primarily broccoli and more recently brussel sprouts.  Now, after only one session,  I was told that the treatment might work better with a less gassy diet.  How dare they?!!  Hard to tell if it is me or themselves they are most worried about. I took them so seriously we had steamed brussel sprouts tossed in homemade Mediterranean dressing as a side dish for dinner tonight.  We'll see.

We are making this as enjoyable an experience as possible.  Kathy attended a neighborhood baby shower for Erika yesterday while Brad and I played a round of disc golf in the rain.  We started today with a long walk to get better acquainted with our new neighborhood .  We are already seeing signs of spring including a flowering tree on the hospital grounds.  I'm sure we'll find many things to be thankful for along the way.
The continued notes, prayers, and other support from our family and friends helps incredibly. Thank you all so much.

Shalom, 
     Barry and Kathy
     Now I'm ready!  As the shirt Matt gave me says, BRING IT ON!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the t-shirt and your attitude.

    Because the reaction of my skin to the radiation took some time to show, I did not give my skin proper care until later. They wrote on me daily with colored pens (not sure if they will do that with you) and I washed that off too aggressively. My suggestion is to talk with the nurse and get her recommendation on how to care for your skin now...before it starts to show.

    Did you get my note about Cure magazine? You can probably get a copy at your oncologist's office. I really get a lot from it.

    Take care...and enjoy the silver linings.

    ReplyDelete