Friday, July 5, 2013

A Very Belated Update

Hello again, family and friends,

It has been way too long since I have posted on this blog.  Several recent events compelled me to dust off the cobwebs and relearn how to post.  The first indication that an update was necessary was when someone I had not seen in some time approached me on the street recently and asked how I was doing.  She said she had been following my progress on my blog and because I haven't posted in some time, feared the worst.  I assured her that I am very much alive and feeling great.  Also, I have several close friends and acquaintances who have recently undergone surgery or other treatment for prostate cancer.  Yesterday, I attended a memorial service for another friend who died of a different type of cancer. These events really brought home the reality of how this disease touches us all.  I feel that we need to be more open, talk freely  about cancer, and support each other whenever and however we can. This blog is one way for me to continue that conversation with those I most care about.   

On the treatment side, I have one more Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT) injection scheduled in Oregon on July 29.  I chose Oregon because I want very specific details regarding post-treatment follow-up from my urologist and felt the best way to obtain a detailed timeline was to meet with him face-to-face.  The effects of the injection should start to wear off in November, and then I will begin routine testing for both testosterone and PSA levels.  I just don't know how frequently I will need the tests or if they can be on the same schedule.  As far as I'm concerned, the fewer blood draws, the better. 

For those of you who have been out of touch, we left Alaska the end of January and returned the end of the third week of April.  During the time we were gone we helped celebrate Rowan's first birthday in Oregon on Feb. 1, and Caden's seventh birthday in Massachusetts on April 4.  While we were in Massachusetts we made side trips to Connecticut and Maine.  While in Oregon we made a side trip to Hawaii.  Kathy and I spent 10 days on the Big Island and then joined Erika's family on Maui for another week.  I was able to cross several items off my "bucket list" including visits to Mystic Seaport and the New Bedford Whaling Museum back east, and Volcanoes National Park on Hawaii and birding on the Hosmer Grove Trail on Maui.

Spring in Southeast Alaska started out very cold and wet.  It was so bad that for the first couple of weeks back in Alaska we wondered if we should have stayed south longer.  Then the weather gradually morphed into one of the most pleasant summers we have had in a long time.  We are trying our best to take advantage of it every chance we get.
   
In other news, I decided not to do marine tours this year.  This is the first year in over 50 that I have no summer commitments, and I'm loving it.  I really thought I would miss doing the tours.  However, I find that not worrying about tomorrow's weather, boat performance, client compatibility, location and behavior of the whales, the amount of ice near the glacier and all the other factors that go along with running an eco-tour business, has been a huge relief.  I can just feel the usual summer stress melting away.  Kathy closed the Guest House last year, so we are both foot loose and fancy free.  A free summer has allowed us to catch up on some projects around the house and in the yard.  

This is not to say we aren't spending time on the water.  We kept the boat and I've caught more king salmon this year than any season since starting the business 19 years ago.  Also, Kathy and I have enjoyed the great weather and have taken several wonderful overnight trips with a focus on kayaking, relaxing and introducing her to new areas. The water has been generally calm and sunsets have been spectacular this summer.  

The serenity, the lack of stress, the wonderful companionship, and using the boat on our schedule rather than on someone else's schedule have left me feeling better than I have felt in a long, long time. 

We are looking forward to a lengthy visit from Erika, Brad and Rowan beginning tomorrow, July 7.  It will be great fun to watch Rowan explore a new and very different area from what he is used to.  I have a feeling the next two and a half weeks will be very busy.  I will return to Oregon with Erika and Rowan on July 25, for my final treatment. 

We also have some very exciting news from the other side of the continent.  We are looking forward to the arrival of our third grandson in about a month.  Caden is very anxious to be a big brother.  We are pretty certain this will require another trip to Massachusetts during late summer or early fall.  

We have continued to follow a primarily plant-based diet with the exception of
seafood and a very occasional meal of organic grass-fed beef or organic free-range chicken.  We exercise regularly, and feel that we are in better health than we have been in for some time.  The more we read about how poor diet, a sedentary lifestyle, and high stress levels are underlying causes for many chronic illnesses, the more we feel that what we are doing (or trying to do) makes sense.  Perhaps it is partly psychological, but I feel better than I have in years.  I recently came across this cartoon and think it sums up perfectly everything we have learned.  You can click on any of the pictures in this post to enlarge them, including the cartoon. 

As usual, I'd like to leave you with another healthy recipe.  This one is for Easy Homemade Hummus  which I modified from a published recipe. I started making our own hummus when I read that most commercial hummus, other than organic, is made from genetically modified garbanzos. The basic recipe makes about two cups of hummus.  It can be doubled if you want more.  It will keep in the refrigerator for quite awhile in an airtight container.  For some reason, ours never lasts long enough to find out how long it will keep.  

Ingredients:
·         1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained (organic)
·         2 cloves garlic (peeled)
·         Juice of one lemon
·         3 Tbs tahini (organic)
·         1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil (organic)
·         1 tsp sea salt
·         1 tsp cumin
·         1 tsp paprika (I use smoked paprika and sometimes a dash of cayenne or 1/2 tsp regular paprika and 1/2 tsp chipotle powder)



Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  If using a blender I've found it works best to put in about half of the beans and all the other ingredients and slowly add the rest of the beans while blending.  Pulse blending on low works well and I stop periodically to push the ingredients to the bottom of the blender with a rubber spatula.   
This is perfect to use as a healthy dip for fresh summer vegetables such as baby carrots, broccoli, cucumber slices, or bell peppers. Enjoy! 

   We wish all of you many days of contentment followed by beautiful sunsets.  
Shalom,

Barry and Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment